After the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) arrested three people for a drug seizure on a cruise ship off the coast of Mumbai on Saturday night, the discussion of drug addiction in the entertainment world came back to life.
In the past year and a half since the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput, NCB has aggressively probed the Bollywood-drug connection, showcasing the dark underbelly of Garland City.
However, the connection between the world of entertainment and drug addiction is old. In India, among the first actors to be detained with drugs was Sanjay Dutt. Even before the 1993 bombing incident, Dutt spent five months in prison in 1982 after being caught in possession of illegal substances.
Since then, several celebrities have been arrested in drug-related cases.
On September 25, in a joint operation, NCB’s Mumbai and Goa teams arrested the brother of Bollywood actor Arjun Rampal’s partner Gabriella Demetriades of Goa as part of a drug case. The office also seized charas (hashish / cannabis) from him. He was also arrested last year in October in the Sushant Singh Rajput drug case.
Here are some of the names that have been arrested:
1. Rhea Chakraborty: The VJ-actor and close friend of Rajput was arrested along with his brother Showik Chakraborty in September 2020 on allegations that they arranged drugs for the late actor. They were then released on bail.
2. Preetika Chauhan: The TV actor was arrested in October 2020 for alleged possession of ganja (cannabis). She was released on bail.
3. Bharti Singh: In November 2020, the actress and her husband Haarsh Limbachiyaa were arrested by the BCN. Authorities found ganja in their residence and office. They were then released on bail.
4. Shabana Saeed: Firoz Nadiadwala’s wife was arrested in November 2020 after BCN raided Nadiadwala’s house and found 10g of marijuana. She was released on bail by a court in Mumbai.
5. Kapil Jhaveri: The actor was arrested in Goa in August 2020 after the criminal branch raided a rave party where drugs were allegedly consumed. He was the main accused because he had organized the party. He was then released on bail.
6. Armaan Kohli: In August 2021, the actor was arrested in a drug seizure case. BCN arrested him after finding 1.2 g of cocaine in his house. His request for release on bail was rejected.
7. Fardeen Khan: On May 5, 2001, the actor was arrested by NCB in Mumbai for allegedly attempting to purchase cocaine. A special court granted him immunity from prosecution in the case in 2012.
The NCB has also interviewed a number of celebrities in recent months, including Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan, Shraddha Kapoor and Rakul Preet Singh about drugs.
Read all the latest news, breaking news and coronavirus news here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Telegram.